Sunday, August 21, 2011

Las Chiquitas

God works in ways I cannot even begin to understand.  Today I wanted to devote spending my time in the Word and just embracing the beauty he has created.  I went on a bike ride down to the Coon Rapids dam and found a perfect spot to spend sometime with Jesus.  As I am getting started this is one of the first verses I read: Psalm 1:3
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
   which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
   whatever they do prospers.

I don't know if you caught that... but I am by a river with trees all around... I am in a point in my life where I want to serve Jesus whole heartedly and want to prosper with spreading the good news of Jesus.  Philippians 4:13 "I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

I concluded with my time with a simple prayer: God use me and let your will be done.

Within minutes... two little girls (Las Chiquitas) come and sit by me on the picnic table.  They are smiling and laughing and can barely speak English.  We attempted to talk (I know a little Spanish) they were 4 and 6 years old.  So cute and so innocent.  We talked about Dora the Explorer, Barbies, school and made faces. It was truly a highlight of my day.  The 6 year old looked at me and said, "You look like a Barbie."  Well something deep inside of me sparked and it wouldn't go away.  After a few more minutes of talking I knew what I had to do.  I needed to go home and find some Barbies for these girls.  I knew I had something to just bless them with.  I biked home super fast, grabbed some pretty green beads and found two newer Barbies and headed back to the dam.  I gave them these gifts and said, "Jesus te ama" which means 'Jesus loves you' in Spanish.  Not only did God use me in this situation to demonstrate his unfailing love and show us how important we are to him but blessed me with the incredible feeling to see these little girls faces light up and show their brothers and dads.  Although this was such a simple event in a day it demonstrated God's love for us.  I am truly honored to experience this.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I could just picture this taking place and the girls face light up! You are a wonderful light of God's love!

    ReplyDelete